I love when you can combine science with a delicious edible treat.
So I was excited to find a STEM activity that involved making ice cream in a bag. It seems like magic, but there is real science happening inside the bag! The salt and ice make a solution that gets cold enough to freeze your milk.
The recipe below for ice cream in a bag makes two small servings. Want more? Double your ingredients. This makes vanilla ice cream, but add some powdered chocolate and you have chocolate ice cream! Experiment with other ingredients to make other flavors!
Ice Cream in a Bag
What you need:
- 1 cup any kind of milk or half-and-half
- 2 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 cups (doesn't need to be exact) of ice
- 1/3 cup salt
- a sandwich-sized plastic resealable bag
- a gallon-sized plastic resealable bag
- Mix milk, sugar, and vanilla in the small bag. Squeeze out the air and seal.
- Mix ice and salt in the large plastic bag.
- Place the small bag into the big bag.
- Shake hard for 5-7 minutes or until the milk mixture is frozen. Use gloves because the bag will get very cold!
Grab a spoon and let's eat!
WANT MORE FAMILY FUN?
Be sure you are receiving our FREE emails for weekly event listings and also check out our events calendar!
Macaroni Kids Northern Pascack Valley is proudly serving Northeast Bergen County area families in Closter, Harrington Park, Northvale, Norwood, Old Tappan, Emerson, Hillsdale, Montvale, Park Ridge, River Vale, Westwood, and Woodcliff Lake.