Memorial Day is observed every year on the last Monday of May. While it is easy to enjoy Memorial Day as a day off from school and work, it is also important to remember the significance of this federal holiday. Teach children and ourselves to be grateful for the freedom and rights we currently enjoy by honoring the men and women who have sacrificed their lives to protect such rights and freedom. Below are a few ideas to start:
1. Fly the American flag. On Memorial Day, the flag should first be raised to the top of the staff, then slowly lowered to half-staff, until noon when it should be raised to the top of the staff for the rest of the day.
2. Pause for a moment of silence at 3:00 pm in memory of our fallen heroes.
3. Attend a parade as a family. Get your patriotic gear on and attend a parade near your neighborhood. If you have time, have the kids decorate their bikes and trikes or use red, white and blue decorations to adorn wagons and strollers. Check our listing of parades in the area HERE.
4. Make a patriotic craft or recipe.
5. Watch a movie about the American war experience. Some of our favorite movies include Born on the Fourth of July, Saving Private Ryan, Gran Torino, Legends of the Fall, and Forrest Gump.
WANT MORE FAMILY FUN?
Be sure you are receiving our FREE emails for weekly event listings and also check out our events calendar!
Proudly serving Northeast Bergen County area families in Closter, Harrington Park, Northvale, Norwood, Old Tappan, Emerson, Hillsdale, Montvale, Park Ridge, River Vale, Westwood, and Woodcliff Lake since 2010.